Wednesday, October 7, 2009

What about us girls?




While reading the article I was particularly interested in the lack of video games made for girls. Yes, if you think about it most games are directed toward the male population. But what about us girls? There are only a handful of games where girls are their main demographic. And most of those games are for PC's. Girls do like to play video games! I found it strange that since this business is all about making money that they haven't devoted more of their time and money into making games for girls to play and not just PC games! People are so naive, and I even saw that in my family- while playing a video game, Spyro the dragon a game that can even be looked at as gender neutral my oldest sister walked into the room and said: "what are you doing? video games and all that stuff are for boys." That is the general consensus that people have about video games. There is nothing wrong with girls wanting to play video games! what is the big deal? I think the article made great points in stating that video games can help peek a girls interest in technology, and that it also helps improve their computer literacy. Lets face it computers are a big part of our society and we all need to know how to use it. Girls should be able to have everything that boys have, and be able to enjoy it without feeling that this is only meant for boys, on top of that the video game industry is missing out-there is money to be made.




1 comment:

  1. That is is true what about the girls. why should we be a bystander in a video games. Society is basing video games on males and not women. However, women can play video games just like how males can. When I play video I usually get characters who are very competitive. In video I am the fighter and determine to to win. I do not like to be the bystander and I feel society should stop with the stereotyping on females.

    ReplyDelete