Thursday, October 29, 2009

Its a Video Game Certainly, but is it Art?


A good point was brought up in this article, the point being that when most people think of video games the think of adolescent boys in their boxers playing these games all day. I think that is true and it is the stereotype, but as stated video games are in that quarter century mark between it being a hugely accepted art or one that is only found in a select group like comic books for example. Jenkins also makes a great point in stating what our video games need-which is more of an emotional connection with the character and the game itself. I myself have never been emotional with a game or even cried but I think if we make video games with a more emotional connection that video games will become more relate able to people, in turn it being a media that all types of people would want to partake in. Also, I think Jenkins makes and excellent point in saying that we need to create a critical vocabulary for video games and the genre. I think if we did have a critical vocab people will understand that this can be something serious and it does have more aspects to it that just being a fun past time adolescent boys play. I think art is what you make it be. I personally dont think that a urinal on top of a table is art, but I do think that art is something that's makes you ask questions and think, I believe video games can do that and i think with time they have only gotten better and will continue to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment